Wednesday, July 02, 2008

BN PROSE

Hi!!!!!!!
Wow! Its was my blog's 2nd birthday yesterday.
I cannot believe its been 2 years!!!
Thanks so much for the support. By God's grace, there are much bigger and better things to come sooner than you think!
Anyway, one of my fav bloggers, Favoured Girl submitted this short story for BN Prose. Enjoy!
Check out previous editions
Mama
Hello
______________________________________
I was bored and listless at work. It was Monday morning, and I was back in the office after a lovely weekend. The office felt quite empty because three of my colleagues had taken the day off. I didn't blame them one bit. It was a lovely day, the sun was shining brightly outside and the last thing anybody wanted was to be stuck in front of a computer screen on the sixth floor in the City. I tried to concentrate on the row of figures on my spreadsheet, but it was proving too difficult. I shook my head and wished I had requested the day off too. I looked at the time in the corner of my screen and saw it was only 10.22 am meaning the day was still far from over. I sighed, looked out of my window and recalled all the fun happenings of the past weekend and that had just passed.

My good friend Titi had organised a lovely weekend for five of her closest friends to celebrate her birthday. All of us had been excited when she told us the plan, especially me. I had been having a stressful time at work in the last month. A fun weekend was exactly what I needed to chill out and shake off the stress. As soon as it was five o'clock last Friday, I had dashed out of the office, gone home to change, picked up my overnight bag and head to Titi's place. She lived in a lovely 2-bed house in a nice part of North London, with a huge kitchen and garden and she often invited us to hang out there. She’s a lucky girl, while the rest of us were still living in matchboxes and paying inflated rents to landlords, her dad had helped her with a huge deposit and she was able to buy her own place four years ago.

By the time I arrived, everyone was already there waiting for me: Dolapo, Funmi, Maureen and Temmy. We were all friends from our undergraduate university days and thanks to Funmi and Titi, we remained a close-knit group. They kept us in touch with each other. After the usual round of hugs, gist swaps and a light meal, we went out to have a good time. First we saw a movie - Sex and the City of course - the hot new ultimate chick-flick. Afterwards, we went clubbing and had a groovy time. I had forgotten how much fun it was to just let my hair down and dance the night away with my girls. When it was around 2am, we decided to call it a night, so we all piled into a taxi, fuelled by alcohol and excitement, talking nineteen to the dozen and laughing at the silliest thing throughout the journey back to Titi's place.

On Saturday morning, we woke up early - well if you call 10.30 am early- because Titi was having a party later that evening and she wanted to cook and get her house ready. One by one we stumbled out of bed, cleaned our teeth, washed our faces and trooped into Titi's kitchen to find something to eat for breakfast. Maureen decided she wanted oats and we all agreed with that, so she got to work preparing some. Titi brought out her list and started sharing out the tasks for the day. I offered to help with cooking the jollof rice, Funmi was doing chicken and beef the way we all loved it at her party last summer, Temmy was making salad, plantain and gizzard stew, Maureen was making puff-puff and pancakes, Titi was going to pick up her birthday cake and a few more supplies from the supermarket while Dolapo said she might make moin-moin if there was time, but she would rearrange Titi’s living room and sort out the music. Then I noticed that Titi had forgotten to plan for something.
"Titi, you forgot to mention drinks" I said, looking in her fridge for the milk. "Who is going to get them?"
She turned round and said, "Oh drinks have been taken care of"
"Where are they?" Maureen asked. "Let's put them in the fridge now so that we won't forget"
"Oh, they are not here, somebody is bringing them in the afternoon". At that point we all looked up and turned to face her.
"Who?" five of us asked at the same time.
"Somebody, a friend of mine is bringing the drinks..." Titi said coyly.
"Who IS that?" I piped up. "Does he or she have a name?"
Titi started blushing and then she finally told us that it was a guy she had just started seeing and he was the most wonderful guy a girl could ever hope to meet. Of course we all wanted the low down on the gist of this guy.
"Hmmm, na wa o Titi" Funmi said. "When did you become under-g like this?"
"I'm not! I only just started seeing him two months ago"
"Eh, is that why you shenked me the last time I asked you to come to the new bar with me, you said you were going somewhere else?" Maureen asked.
Titi said nothing.
"See, she is guilty" Temmy said.
"You guys let's leave her for now" I said "We'll meet the guy today and deal with Titi later"
“So you won’t even give us any bit of information?” Dolapo asked.
“Alright, alright” Titi finally said. “I met him at a conference, I noticed him right away because he was the only black guy there. Throughout the conference our eyes kept meeting and afterwards, he came to say hello to me and we got talking. That’s it really”
“What’s his name?”
“His name is Dayo”
“Hmmm, and what does he do?” Maureen asked.
“He’s a lawyer too, it was a legal conference”
“Cool” Dolapo said. “So why the secrecy now?”
“Well since you guys will see him today, I might as well tell you now” Titi paused for effect. “He’s much older than me”
“How much older?” Temmy asked.
“He’s 35” Titi replied. “So he’s like eight years older than me”
“Wow!” Maureen exclaimed, almost dropping the spoon she was holding.
“I know”, Titi said, looking a bit downcast. “That’s the only problem”
“Actually I don’t see why that is a problem” Funmi said thoughtfully. “Eight years is not that bad.”
“I don’t see a problem either” I added. “When you said much older I was already assuming like fifteen years older”
Everyone laughed and Titi said “Ah! Fifteen years ke, chill abeg Lola. He doesn’t even look that old”
Maureen said, “Okay maybe it’s not so bad. At least he should be more mature than guys our age”
“Tell me about it” Dolapo said. “I could do with a mature guy right now”
“Yeah call him and tell him to bring his single friends along this evening” Temmy said.
“Eh Temmy!” Titi said and we all burst into laughter again. Temmy was the only one among us in a long-term relationship.

Later that afternoon, we were almost through with our cooking, Titi’s living room was set-up and she was in the bathroom blow-drying her hair having just had a shower, when the guy arrived. Temmy opened the door for him and he stepped in. We all introduced ourselves.
“Hello, nice to meet you” he said. “Titi has told me about all of you”
“Would you like something to eat or drink?” I offered.
“No thank you, I’m in a hurry” he said politely. “I just came to drop the drinks and give Titi her birthday present. I have to go somewhere but I’ll be back for the party”
He dropped a parcel on the table and turned to leave. “I’ll see you all later. Bye”
“Byeeeee” we chorused and Dolapo locked the door after him.
“Hmmm, he seemed nice” she said, as she came back into the living room.
“Yeah Titi was right, he doesn’t look that old” Funmi said.
I ran upstairs to the bathroom and could hear Titi talking on the phone. She hung up just as I popped my head around the door.
“That was Dayo” she said, looking up. “He said he’s dropped my birthday present and he’ll be back around eight”
“Great. I’m dying to know what he got you so come and open your present”
“I’ll be down shortly, or wait, come and help me with my hair to make it faster”
When we got downstairs, Titi asked, “So what did you guys think of him?”
“He is good looking” Maureen said. “And he dressed nicely”
“He seems nice and laid-back” Funmi said.
“I think he looked cool and confident, like a successful person who doesn’t need to show off”
“Yeah he’s not trying too hard” I said. “He’s comfortable with himself”
“Na wah o, all that analysis in one brief meeting!” Titi exclaimed. “But seriously, I’m glad you guys said that because that’s exactly what I see in him too”
“Then don’t let the age thing bother you” Funmi said.
“Yeah if he likes you and you like him too, just relax see what happens. You might really enjoy his company in spite of the difference in age.” Dolapo said.
“Yeah go for it babe” I said.
Titi smiled and looked relieved. “Thanks girls. I was worried you guys would think it was weird or something.”
“Not at all” Maureen said. “Now let’s go and get ready, your guests would start arriving soon”.

My office telephone rang shrilly, jolting me out of my thoughts. I looked around guiltily, hoping nobody had noticed that my mind was far away. I picked up the call and it was my boss reminding me that we had a meeting later in the afternoon after lunch. I glanced at the time; it was now ten minutes to eleven. I hung up and decided to get my work up to scratch before lunch time. Time went quickly and before I knew it, it was one o’clock. I decided to take a break so I popped out quickly to get something to eat. I got back to my desk and remembered I wanted to check if Titi had uploaded the photos we took over the weekend. The party had been so much fun; I had danced most of the evening with a guy who had the potential to progress to boyfriend level. But first things first….

I logged on to Facebook and scrolled down the news feed. I noticed a friend had been tagged in an album so out of curiosity I clicked on the photo to check it out. She was a bridesmaid at a wedding and since I loved viewing wedding albums, I clicked on. I was thinking…. I like the bride’s make-up… her jewellery is lovely… hmmm not too sure about her dress sha….etc when I landed on a photo that nearly made me choke on my chicken sandwich. I stared at my computer screen in shock. Was it…? Yes, the groom in the album was Dayo, the same guy that Titi was dating! My friend is getting involved with a married man! My heart sank. Oh God, what should I do?

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...fine chica....

Anonymous said...

yaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first to comment on this one. Nice!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

yaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first to comment on this one. Nice!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

4th ....YAY

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm.. i think she should tell her friend..Simple and short. I mean her friend isnt engaged to the dayo dude so she needs to tell her friend like right now..hehe..

Great story tho..Love BN PROSE...

Thirty + said...

Congrats Bella

What, please tell your friend asap, since they just met, let her know the koko.

Lovely story

Emilia said...

Congratulations Bella Naija on your two years!!!!!!!!!!!! I have really enjoyed reading your blog, keep it up I am a fan.....

Emilia said...

Congratulations Bella Naija on your two years!!!!!!!!!!!! I have really enjoyed reading your blog, keep it up I am a fan.....

Best regards,

From

Emilia( Africa with Style)

Emilia said...

Congratulations Bella Naija on your two years!!!!!!!!!!!! I have really enjoyed reading your blog, keep it up I am a fan.....

Best regards,

From

Emilia( Africa with Style)

Unknown said...

Ok. I have been in Titi's position, actually I now wonder if I know Favored Girl in real life, because the exact same thing happened many many many moons ago, when I was too young to know better.

Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd Anniversary / Bday !

LADYBRILLE.com said...

Happy 2year Anniversary Bella. You inspired our blogazine idea and I know you've inspired many others.

Much love,
Uduak

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching two years on Blogville! I really enjoy checking your blog for updates on the fashion and entertainment world. You rock! Now to the story that favoured girl wrote- does Titi know or suspect that her new boyfy is married? You know sometimes girls might know and it may not matter to them as long as they are not planning to settle with the guy. Just my thots.....

Godisalive said...

I absolutely lurvee ur blog Bella. So Kudos...well done.

As for the story, God forbid that happens to even my worse enemy. A brand nu groom wow...God help us ladies

Anonymous said...

THAT STORY WAS MADD! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I love her writing..

Shaywun said...

Congratualtions on your 2nd Anniversary Bella!

Mehn, I immediately knew something was up with the dude when he said he had to reach somewhere first and then he'll be back. What the heck was so important dat he couldn't take care of before dropping the present? Such a loser, had the audacity too *hiss*

Great job FG. Always nice to read your stories!

Tobi said...

congratulations on the 2nd anniversary...i tot i was the only one who noticed it was odd he had to leave...you should tell your friend...i mean its on facebook already...spare her the disgrace of introducing him to the world

Anonymous said...

If it is on facebook, then 'uwa nine' knows so tell her or better still show her.

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary. Good job1

Anonymous said...

Congrats Bella, welldone and keep up the good work, it's much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

congrats .. I think she should tell her friend .. and the friend should better let the wife of the guy know ..HISSS .. all guys of nowadays re seriously USELESSS .... USELESSS .. i mean it almost eems normal for a guy to have a babe on the side + girlfriend or babe on side + wife !!!! It has become sickening .. especially with naija guys ..

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

just tell her u want to show her someone's pics on facebook and let her "stumble" on it herself.

Anonymous said...

I feel you on this one. I too was dating an undercover married man. This guy was so on my case, taking me out everyday of the week, movies, dinner, lunch, bbq's at the weekend, went to his house, came to my house, went to his office, came to my office. We were literally inseparable for two months. Morning beautiful text first thing in the AM, goodnight beautiful text last thing at night. He lived at home. No strings or cobwebs anywhere. Valentines day, he was sending over flowers and we were going out for dinner. Then I got a random text, can't make it too much traffic on the island...end of text!!!! Shock horror number 1. Next day no apology, nothing for blowing me out on valentines day. Wow. At this point I'm suspecting something's not quite right, so I call a friend of mine, society chick who knows everyone and everything. First thing she says to me, he's a major player, stay away and SHOCK HORROR number two...wait for it...HE'S MARRIED to one of the TV presenters on his station. At this point I faint. End of story.

Anonymous said...

Facebook, definitely put that picture on Facebook. I found out this guy that had been chasing me for months 8months of phonecalls, texts, emails etc. Flights to Lagos from DC just to take me out...nonsense. Happily married in DC with a child. Men, I give up. Tell your friend ASAP. I saw a picture of him and his wife on Facebook, so innocently asked him who the Jennifer was and he said my wife. Wow! Well thank God for Facebook.

Anonymous said...

Please please please in the name of God pls let her know ASAP!!!! if she is ur true friend spill it NOW!!! who does the dayo think he is...he is a mere predator preying on single females...what impetus!!! he wants to eat his cake and have it too...how dare he???i know his types they are all over here in Los Angeles crawling around like snails and looking for the next victim to sleep with to inflate a deflated ego...maddening!!! tell her NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! he must be out of his freaking mind!!

Unbiased said...

Congrats bells!!
Only 2 years. Seems like you have been here forever. Like a fixture. lol!!

I dont know on the prose thingy o!! Me i would let my friend know asap in a kind, quiet and non confrontational manner.

Anonymous said...

nawaaooooooo, this is some serious sh**** , but the message need to be sent across , but this kind of things always happend , for him to leave and come back later for party ,i said to myself something fishy is going on . girl take the nxt exit , he is not for you abeg.

lemonade factory said...

congrats bella,u rock.....now 2 bn prose,there is nothing 2 consider,she needs to tell her friend fast.at least u would be saving her ass from the big eyed,longed throat of a married man who cant just say i do nd stick 2 it.ur friend will thank u later 4 it.

Nachos said...

dat story is really interesting, i wonder wat happens next......CONGRATULATIONS BELLA!....wish u and ur blog more exciting years ahead....keep up d good work!!!

Anonymous said...

Watch out Danielle Steele!

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS BELLA..
WE LOVE UUUUUUU

Anonymous said...

dat's why i hate facebook!

Mixed Up Fashion said...

Hi girlfriend, huum 2 yrs in a quickie!congrat dear, it's da most blog i read everyday, u know na.
Anyway really i love ur story u know u could write a romance story well, kudos girl.
Back to ur friend, pls tell her like all have said but in a very nice and kind way cos she is really into da guy if u know what i mean, and pls can u guys should pretend as if u didn't know to the guy and tell her to ask da guy if he would deny it, and u guys should make fool of him if he try to, cos we have load of rubbish son of ..... whatever in London trying to dip in and there, my cousin mistakingly fell for one like that, didn't know his wife was about 8-9 months preggar. pls post a pix of da party cos i was kinda enjoying ur novel until u dropped that bomb shell,it made me almost lost my appetite for kfc, thanks babe 4 ur hardwork. cheers

Favoured Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Favoured Girl said...

Hi Bella! Thanks for putting up the story. And congrats on your second anniversary in Blogville! I love your work and commitment!

As for the short story, it's not true, but it could very well be. There are many guys like Dayo who don't see anything wrong with dating other girls even though they are already married. And in my mind, I guess Titi already knew Dayo was married but she didn't want to tell her friends because they would not be happy to hear she was dating a married guy. That's partly why she had been initially secretive about him.

Favoured Girl said...

PS: Thanks for your nice comments!

Anonymous said...

juvenile story--too predictable

Anonymous said...

Please tell your friend asap. My husband has been dating singe girls on a regular basis and I has even gone as far as infecting me with an STD!!!!!! He has contd to deny it all and now that he is on facebook it does not help that his current girlfriend is one of his friends and he thinks i do not know. What am i still doing with him you might ask,it is only because of the children as i do not want to raise them as a single parent. Men like him want to eat their cake and have it and forget that with marriage and children comes great responsibility and on has got to leave out certain things or completely stop them. I knew what he was like b4 i married him and i thought that marriage would change him but i as wrong. Dear sisters please learn from my mistakes and run a mile when it seems like it is too good to be true because it is!!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Blog BDay! And awesome story! Is there a part 2? xoxo

LoLu said...

hahaha...anonymous who said hates facebook: you must be a guy or? FB has become the revealer of almost all secrets. I'd rather know than be the hottest fool in town. Lord Jesus! I just hope to God Almighty that I am not about to get in one. I'l definetly catch a case!

Congrats on your two years gurl! Since l landed here from google, I've been hooked! All the best!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Bella on your Annivesary.

I think she should let her friend know - with the hard evidence. With all the secrecy surrounding the relationship, she may know already....... or maybe not..... u never can tell.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Bella on your Annivesary.

I think she should let her friend know - with the hard evidence. With all the secrecy surrounding the relationship, she may know already....... or maybe not..... u never can tell.

Ms.O said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH is this story real!!!!!!....WTF!!!..omg poor Titi!!...wow..tht sux

Anonymous said...

thank God for facebook o... so people should start shining their eye

Anonymous said...

Please please tell her ASAP before her heart gets to involved...I hope to God she hasnt slept with him yet!

Congrats on your 2year aniversary....