Wednesday, November 07, 2007

LDA, JDL & MABS

HI!!!!!!!!!!
How are y'all doing? Yes, I've been MIA for a week.
I have no excuses!! You know how it gets sometimes.
So what have you been up to? Getting ready for xmas? Since there are soooo many weddings in Nigeria this xmas, I know some of the brides definitely read bellanaija so congrats to all of you! May God bless your marriage and make the marriage even more beautiful than your wedding ceremony. Wedding ceremonies in naij are on another level now....as in, I hardly attend weddings but I am constantly astounded when I see the photos. Fabulous! but on the other hand, divorce rates in Nigeria are getting very high. I have 2 friends (not friends of friends or people I just heard about o) that are under 30 and already divorced/separated....plus I hear about many more. Anyways, just some food for thought. A friend also recommended this Nigerian movie titled 'After the Vow', it starred Desmond Elliott and Stephanie Okereke. Y'all should see it. It had its annoying moments like every other Nigerian movie but the message is strong. I have the same sentiment about the Tyler Perry movie, 'Why Did I Get Married'...those are my 2 recommendations for your weekend movie picks.

Anyways, back to blogging!
I saw this feature in Genevieve Mag some months ago and was really impressed.
It featured 3 of Nigeria's top young designers. Mabruka Mai Deribe, Lanre Da Silva Ajayi and Lisa Folawiyo.
3 different styles, 3 different personalities, 3 successful women.
Check it out!

Lanre DaSilva Ajayi - LDA


Lisa Folawiyo - JEWEL BY LISA


Mabruka Mai Deribe - MABS COUTURE




That's it for today! Leave a comment, let us know what you think! The reason I feature many of these designers is with the hope that it will inspire others with the talent and/or business savvy to pursue their passions. I hope its working!!! cause I am really looking forward to more young Nigerian (and African) entrepreneurs cropping up! On the same topic, check out Business Week's feature on Top Young Entrepreneurs in America (they are all 25 and under!!) . There are 3 young people of Nigerian origin on the list! Be Inspired and have a fab day!!!!!!!

32 comments:

Little Miss Media said...

hahahahahaah!
guess who?!

O.A.Eddy said...

I am second. Wow!!!

Unbiased said...

You came back!!! Wow!!
I just guessed work was taming your blogging. lol!! Me too o!!
Please keep featuring your fashion designers o!! I use your blog to pick what goes into my wardrobe next.
On marriage babe i feel you. Too many people get into it without being sure hence the divorce rate.
I also feel the amount of money spent on weddings are an unnecessary waste. Abeg me and my hubby can use it as downpayment for a house jo. lol!!

Unbiased said...

Bella THe song you were looking for is 'Dear friend' by Stacie Orrico.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB4kj6INEAs

Justme said...

First of all, i have to say those 3 ladies are talented & fabulous! I have a beef with genevieve! ask your aunty betty!
there were supposed to be 4 designers on the cover! she put them thru an interview and an all day photo shoot and then when the issue comes out she chose to remove the 4th designer without letting him know. mEANWHILE, This guy told all his family and friends to watch out for that issue! how embarrassing!

Anonymous said...

was wondering why the first designer is standing behind garbage.......nothing really artsy bout that......

dScR?Be said...

nice stuvs as always..
Watch out 4 me in Business Week before I turn 25.....

Anonymous said...

The Mabs lady is quite pretty.
Her designs are not spectacular but I like 2 key things about her.
1. She is Northern - good to see some representation from there
2. Her veil/modest style - This is quite refreshing compared to most lagos society babes who insist on flaunting every nook and cravice of their body.

Bella Naija said...

Thanks for the comments!!!
- nkechi: better go and study!!! lol

- secrets and lies: when is the movie coming out?

- unbiased: thanks babe!!

- justme: i am pretty certain i know who you are talking about. that must have been really tough for him but i'm sure aunty betty will feature him in the future

- anonymous: i guess the stylist missed the mark

- 2corin: AMEN oooo we shall all be there + Forbes billionaire list as well

- kokolet: i feel you, mabs is quite different but i guess others have a right to express themselves too

kisses

Anonymous said...

nice post bella. you should update more often.
blogsville is drying out! let us keep it alive

Shaywun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaywun said...

So very weird! My sister and I just got that movie "After the vow" on Sunday after service. Of course, still haven't watched it yet cause of time but I must say that I only spotted and picked it up because Desmond Elliott was on the cover! Now I'm really looking forward to it.

Zena said...

hmmm,
maybe I should pack my ass back home really, I feel like I'm wasting, is there a way Bella for people to get the Genevieve mag here in the states?
Well people get married for the wrong reasons a lot in Naija, It's sad tho.
Loved the post

Anonymous said...

OH WOW Mabruka Mai Deribe - Isn't that the Billionaire's daughter Mai Deribe (RIP). WOW she's quite a looker.I love her design - elegant + modest. FAB!!. Jewel by Lisa also rocks - Da Silva is prolly trying too hard to be different.I applaud her creativity tho ..KUDOS to them all

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can wear most of the stuff on there. Maybe only JBL. They are just too gaudy. Hell no.

LADYBRILLE.com said...

Good to see a new post. Missed you. Feel you on the wedding and the excitement of Xmas that is why I am making Nov. all about weddings on my blog. Saw 'Why Did I Get Married.' LUVED it! Was leaving the theater when I ran into a Naija lady. We started talking about the movie. She said it was the 3rd time she was watching. She was divorced and she said she will keep coming back and bringing friends to watch it. It was funny the way she said it with all the hand gestures. I hear u on the divorce part. . .

Ms. Catwalq said...

why does that mabruka designer look familiar...
Hmnnnnn

Initium said...

It's great to see Nigerian fashion growing and evolving so well! I wish those girls the best; I'm sure they'll get to feature on the international scene soon enough.

Naija Babe said...

I just saw why did I get married for the second time. Again I was struck by how relatable all the situations were and how no-one marriage was exempt from wahala. I think so many people still feel that once you love someone then in marriage every thing will fall into place, when the reality is that it is hard work regardless of love, in fact in many cases, the question of a successful marriage boils down to how committed one is to the marriage not how much one loves his or her spouse.
Anyway...just my two cents, I guess I've been thinking about this a lot since finishing my book! It's called the mrs club, I have excerpts on my blog ( I know shameless plug) But really Bella, well done with this blog, it is one of my main spots in blogville, I went into shock went you went on hiatus a while back. Great job on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Quoting NAIJA-BABE....
"the question of a successful marriage boils down to how committed one is to the marriage not how much one loves his or her spouse"
That's A POWERFUL STATEMENT....abeg elaborate....

Zahratique said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!! Nice to see Mabruka's getting noticed! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

The article from business week was pretty inspiring and the 3 Naija kids on there...truly awesome..go 9ja go.

Uzo said...

I love Mabs' designs...long and elegant stuff. The cover of this edition is striking

BiMbyLaDs** said...

bella u readed the 1mill mark!! hail thee o!! u have done very well for ur self..

lol@ ur comment on my blog about the anon that was first :).

Monday ok..
btw, this ur bella naija team, nothing for we story tellers?

BiMbyLaDs** said...

* reached

Anonymous said...

Hi Bella...just curious..do you update your blog design and update by yourself cos your post layoout and design are just too fab.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post as always bella. Yay... I ve found someone to design my Nikkah dress.... MAB's designs are refreshing.

de'tente said...

good to see a new post bella

Aramide said...

loving LDA's beanie caps hehe

thank God i have a copy

Anonymous said...

fab!

Anonymous said...

hmmm...interesting.

Olu said...

loved all of em!
after the VOW was so realistic!
why did i get married...well....